Pages

Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Tri Shapes Challenge

This week The Diva's challenge is hosted by Sue Clark.  I was excited to see that Sue was hosting.  I have enjoyed and been inspired by Sue's work for a while.  The challenge was another great way to explore string making.  I really liked the idea of using overlapping shapes to create the string for several reasons.  One, I am forever feeling stuck when it comes to strings.  I'm not sure why, but my pencil always wants to go the same way everytime.  Using shapes is a great way to get going without having to worry about the rut my pencil is in.  The other is that there is always a shape of some kind in the house.  I can just pick one up and get started.  Using tangles that we have not used before is also a great challenge.  There are so many patterns out there that I have seen and wanted to use but haven't yet.  This was a perfect excuse to just jump in and not over think the pattern.

First I drew my string.  I used my circle template to make the circle and then just a straight edge to make the triangle and the rectangle.  I probably should have free handed them but my freehand can be a bit wonky.  I'm getting a lot better at accepting the wonky but I'm not all the way there yet.

Once I made the string, I pulled out my iPod to look for tangles that I had saved but not used yet.  I really wanted to try Veins by Lizzie Mayne since I saw it.  The tangle reminds me of an album cover from the 90's but please don't ask me which one, I can't remember.  Knowing that I wanted to use that one first, I plopped it right in the middle.  Not practicing most of these tangles first was a real leap of faith, but I am pleased with the outcome. 




I made sure to write down the names of the tangles on the back of the tile and using Sandra Kay Straight's blog, I was able to go back and get the names and the links.  She has the hook up for patterns.   The new patterns I used here are the previously mentioned Veinz, Bowties by Lori Howe, Flubber by Molossus (Ms. Straight), Galoo by Carol Ohl, and Golven by Mariet.  I confess that I had used Golven before in a birthday gift but I love it so much, I wanted to try it again.  I had a little triangle so I added Paradox and just filled the other with stripes. 

I also used a new tangle of mine that I am calling Allium.  It reminds me of on onion cross section so I chose Allium which it the genus of the onion.  I will post steps and examples of Allium in my next post.  The inspiration for this tangle came from a tattoo.  I don't have any tattoos and have never thought that I'd like one, but after seeing this one, I almost took the photo and my back down to the local place to get one, but more on that next.

Thank you to Sue for a fun challenge and thanks to the Diva for bringing the challenge to us each week.

9 comments:

  1. Fantastic Tangle! And thank you for sharing information about my blog!

    Be sure to let me know when you've posted the steps to your tangle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neat-O! Love the way they all flow, one from the other.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both graphic and flowing at the same time. Terrific tile!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your tile! The tangles you used look so good together. Can't wait to try your new tangle, Allium. Thanks for your kind words too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow a new tangle!! and the tile looks great - bold and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is wonderful, love how it all interelates, tangle-to-tangle. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. There are several new to me tangles here - the allium and veins are particularly intriguing so will find a place in my notebook.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Super fun shapes and patterns. I loved the transition of the pattern inside the triangle to the circle, way cool!

    ReplyDelete